Thursday, November 17, 2011

Success?

For 2-3 weeks now I have fretted over the success of my project and my IS class. I wonder, what have I learned, what have I demonstrated as proficiency or success in my learning.
So I tracked back through my blog and took a look at what I did complete so far:
1. Review of literature on game design
2. Research and review of games that can be utilized to teach about Climate, Climate change, Global Warming and atmosphere components of our Earth's System.
3. Review of 3dGameLab as an alternative design to gaming in education
4. Research of a some Physical Education games and possibilities of game design in PE.
5. Some research and review of game design in an educational setting, and successful and effective success of different instructional design models, including Backwards Design, Universal by Design, and Game Design as an instructional model.
6. Research of online free game design tools. 
6. Blog posts of thoughts while researching and reviewing the above.
7. Implementation and set-up of game within a Backwards Design unit for Earth Science.
8. Research and setup of 3dGame Design for final unit of PE: Manual of Me and Calorie Challenge.
9. Initial ideas for setup of Zombie story-line game for PE Participation Points.
10. Can Planet Z project, a simulation, be considered as part of a digital simulation?

In addition, I thought through the learning that I have experienced in reviewing all of these components and the deeper understanding I have of game design in the classroom. Having been torn for several weeks about the need for authentic learning partnered with community activities and projects, I came to the conclusion that there is a need for games and simulations in different components of the curriculum, as some things that are non-tangible (amorphous) concepts are perfect for being taught with games and simulations, such as Climate Change. Furthermore, knowing the importance of authentic application of learning, the use of simulation games to practice these skills initially is fantastic. But real quality learning, such as being partnered with a Climate Researcher to work through or help collect data would be, by far, more beneficial.

In addition not all students are driven or as interested in games and simulations.  I know this seems like a very simplified discovery, but it is really more of a reminder of the need to provide a diversified set of learning opportunities for students to meet the learning objectives set out.

Here is a great example: Today for Earth Science we will be learning about the density of air in different temperatures (which is a perfect day because it is -40 out). We will use smoking wood splints to see what the smoke does in cold temperatures and in warm temperatures. Students will predict why this is happening!  (I hope that they utilize the reading that I had them do last night). Next students will then have a look at Blue Bounce, an iPad game that simulates the movement of air masses. Students will play with this concept, and then we will compile what we learn on our Wikispaces page ,with drawings from absolute board (another ipad app). We could also record with photos and videos what happens with the wood splints and incorporate this as well in our learning.

I think the mix of real-life interactivity with games and simulations can reach a diversity of needs, in the form of individual lessons and learning activities. And the use of game design for tracking and meeting standards could be very powerful and effective, but I was unable to spend the time required to re-adjust and move my typical unit design into the online game design of 3dGamelab, which required the creation of multi-media, the implementation of a point system structure in accordance with the unit layout, and enough pre-planning of activities and projects to allow for diversity of choice. Though I strongly feel all of these components would be very effective in my students reaching base learning of content that could be implemented in their contextual projects, I feel that it would require more time to implement and have happen and not be done in conjunction with initial research. In addition, students choice in projects to meet atmospheric concepts for our third and last unit of the year, demonstrated the need for individualization and diversity in learning through choice. And though 3dGame Design would provide choice in path for learning, it would not appeal to all students to be driven by reaching the learning by receiving awards/ rewards as much as participating in real labs and group projects to implement learning concepts. Do I want to provide feedback in the form of completion of tasks or feedback in the form of real-world implementation of learning?

So what one thought could sum up all of what I have learned so far: Just because I do not have a great deal of physical evidence of learning, does not mean that I have not learned a great deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment