Monday, September 19, 2011

Process for Project

As I continue to filter through my articles, and discuss more in depth about how to go about implementing game design in the classroom or if I should, I have come to the point where I need to be more cognizant of my process.

What is my primary goal of my independent studies?
I believe this seminar can be used as a fantastic starting point for developing a better understanding of how digital games in the classroom can help increase independent learning success of students.

What end product will I see? Application of game design into an online course unit.

How will I reach this product?
1. Research about game design. What type of designs are used? Why are these used over others? Is there documentation of their success?

2. Create a template for utilizing game design for a unit.

3. Identify 1 unit to develop. Identify elements that will be used to determine it's success.

4. Implement and evaluate, consider next steps.

Checking my progress:
I am thinking I need to check my progress weekly, by writing another post that checks to see that I am on track and that I am completing to the quality that I initially set out. As a side note to this, self motivation is very challenging in that I am motivated to learn and implement the learning, but feel at this juncture that I would love immediate feedback to feel the dopamine rush of being on the right track.

So weekly tasks should really include the following:
1. 2-3 postings with 1-2 references each.
2. A working document of culminated background research into paper, with purpose in front.

With that in mind, here is the rubric initially created to evaluate my progress:

A rubric for weekly tasks can be found below:

·   
Identify positive and
negative effects of using digital games for learning.

·   
Identify, examine, and
categorize the variety of game designs used in the gaming world, as well as
education.

·   
Identify components of
instructional design within game design.


Objectives


Advanced

Proficient

Developing


Emerging

Blog


A weekly blog post with 3 referenced,
researched articles with connection to qualitative categories/ concepts
identified, as well as connection to games, twitters, or other blogs
supporting concepts based on the first three objectives (see above.)

A weekly blog post with 2-3 referenced,
researched articles with qualitative categories/ concepts identified based on
the first three objectives (see above.)


A weekly blog post with 1-2 researched
articles based on the first three objectives (see above.)

A bi-weekly blog post with 1-2 articles
linked and briefly discussed.


Qualitative Research Paper

APA style research paper with
descriptive coded categories, documented research method process reviewed and
evaluated by peers based on the first three objectives (see above.)

APA style research paper with
descriptive coded categories and documented research method process based on
the first three objectives (see above.)


APA style research paper with some
errors and very broad categories and general explanation of research method
process based on the first three objectives (see above.)

Research paper with errors based on the
first three objectives (see above.)  










No comments:

Post a Comment