Friday, October 21, 2011

Making time and the Technology Connection

My students have just completed a big piece of one of the more major projects, the understanding of Earth's systems, their interconnection with the understanding of conservation of matter and the cycling of Energy through the system.
Students were able to examine the issues happening on an imaginary planet (Planet Z).
Based on data provided to them, they were asked to evaluate the data and determine what issues were causing the following problems on Planet Z:

  •  Changes in average temperatures
  • Increased variability and intensity in weather
  • Shifting resource patterns (some places grow Wigit Trees, some do not)
  • Increased water levels in their Oceanica (like our Oceans)
  • Change in their Oceanica currents
  • Lengthening of growing season for Wigitells
  • Changes in the Carbon Cycle, changes in their water cycle


Students created posters showing how their theory of what was happening on Planet Z was supported by their learning and data that they had available to them sent from Planet Z. After the third revision of the poster, they had some great evidence supporting their arguments and their understanding of systems and the carbon cycle were more coherent.
But here in lies the issue. We are ready to move to the next piece. Their presentations and arguments should be made available to a public audience for further revision. One of the best ways to do this is via the Internet community. This way I can bring in scientists and community planners that can examine their supporting arguments. This suggests a Blog.
BUT, this is why I am posting this seemingly random post that looks like it is not connected to gaming and game design. Why did I not start with this? BECAUSE, I have the same issues that every other teacher in every other school has! Access to technology on a regular basis to be able to use the technology when needed. My students move at their own pace. In order for us to use the computers in the computer lab, I must schedule them, well in advance so they are available for use. This means that I must stay with in a regimented schedule to use the computers. BUT, recall my students move at their own pace. They may not be ready to use the tool if we are still back putting the pieces together. Or they may be ready to use the tool, and they are not be available that moment.
Hence the reason for this blog. The more I work in the game design into the authentic learning tasks, the more I begin to wonder, HOW? How do I integrate a tool that is only sometimes, maybe available?
Luckily, I suspected this might be an issue, so I worked closely with the Roxy Mourant and the Alaska Digital Sandbox to provide a class set of iPads for our classroom. But had I not done this, I would not likely be able to integrate this into my classroom very seamlessly.  Understanding the benefits of gaming and technology in the classroom requires the use of the technology. Even Sugatra Mitra's project "Hole in the Wall" allows for continuous access to technology in which students teach themselves in a student centered classroom. So, what am I missing? 

No comments:

Post a Comment