Monday, September 19, 2011

Unexpected Learning

Since I have begun my UbD class, I have spent more time on reviewing my learning from 7 years ago and practicing the skills presented by Wiggins and Mctighe. This has caused me end to pain in realizing that I spend more time on this course then my Independent Studies course. After coming to the conclusion that I should probably drop my UbD course and spend more time focusing on my IS course, I discovered that it was too late.

But as I do on most topics in my life, I attempt to find the positive, silver lining in the cloud. As I began to work through the lessons to catch up in the UbD, my mind kept drifting to quality education and teaching, which is really what UbD is about. Helping students to reach the deeper understanding of concepts. So how can I incorporate this into Game Design and Game Theory. Thus the serendipity of the situation. My answer to this questions spurred some new questions that would be more pertinent for researching.

What types of design are used in Game Design for the popular games? Is there any similarity or connection to UbD?

How can I help students reach that deeper level of understanding through games and gaming? Is it necessary to create an entire system that is a game in and of itself, like Quest to Learn, or is it sufficient to utilize games to reach those understandings?

But of course asking these questions, means I need to narrow it down a bit more and consider what research has been done to determine the effectiveness of game design in learning compared to units taught using UbD.

Furthermore I must consider the implications of such information. For example, why bother even incorporating game design in a classroom? Could it really be as effective as the many other tactics used as hooks for learning? Or would it be a very effective design to alleviate some of the problems that typically occur in a classroom, such as students missing class, more/ less days required on tasks or assignments, the need for all the curriculum to be addressed or for students to demonstrate mastery regardless of seat time. Having curriculum within the framework of a game structure to track leveling and progress while utilizing units in the format of UbD online provides a solution to many of these problems. So if that is the case, then what shall we do in the classroom? Explorations.. to reach our deeper understandings?

No comments:

Post a Comment